Pages

Monday, February 18, 2013

Valentine’s Day Week!



Time is flying! Where did last week go? I was back at work Monday for a short week of just 4 days. My mum came to visit me for a few days and see the house for the very first time. I’d shown her pictures at Christmas time but due to her living about 450kms away from the house it wasn’t possible for to see it before now. She was most looking forward to coming. She arrived on Wednesday night on purpose so I could meet her after work and welcome her. She loved it! For the 10 and a half years I lived in Sydney she always expressed how much she hated Sydney. I have mostly lived in share accommodation so it has been difficult to have anyone visit with me and stay. So it was nice to finally have somewhere nice for my family to stay complete with their own bedroom! She is pleased I have left Sydney to live! ;-)

She spent the day at the house on Thursday helping me out by cleaning some windows and cleaning the oven. She also made us dinner, zucchini slice! One of my favorites and it was nice to know I was coming home to a home cooked meal. Thursday was also Valentine’s Day and my first time with T as my Valentine! It’s really important to us to value and appreciate and love each other every single day so I wasn’t too sure how we would spend or celebrate the day, and considering my mum was there we weren’t able to get up to too much mischief! But to my delight T surprised me at work with a massive bunch of red and pink roses in a beautiful round vase! 

 When we got home, I surprised him with memberships for both of us to the Newcastle Knights. I’d bought our memberships a week before but I wasn’t sure how present the gift as I had nothing physically to give him. I’d bought a card and a few love heart chocolates so thought it might be fun to write him a cryptic message for him to solve so he could work out what his present was :-)


I took Friday off work so I could spend a bit of time with Mum. We fiddled about and went shopping and in the afternoon we drove to Newcastle so she could meet T’s family for the first time before she traveled home. After that T & I went to a Jet’s game (A League) and decided that we were spending the weekend alone together as a Valentine’s weekend – just the two of us. We didn’t care that we had jobs to do the most important thing was that we were together. And it was wonderful, just what we needed. We finally had our first swims in the pool!
 

I also got to work unpacking my clothes. I’ve got about half way. I moved 6 months ago and pretty much didn’t unpack when I moved so a lot of my clothes needed a freshen up so I decided to wash everything which I am the middle of doing now. I have never really had a wardrobe or clothes cupboard to put my clothes except when I lived with my parents. It feels strange and it’s taking me some time to get used to. For the past 9 months I’ve lived with 1 bag of clothes and a washing basket, traveling between Sydney and Newcastle. Now that I have everything I have been wanting for so long, I don’t really know how to feel about it. I know I love it! But it’s just taking some time to adjust and get used to it. Maybe it’s hard to believe that this is really our house and not just a holiday house we are staying? I’m not sure if anyone else has felt like this when they first get a home that is really theirs. For so long I haven’t felt like I haven’t had a ‘normal’ life and maybe I don’t feel like I am worthy or it’s really happening. I’m not sure. 

It is feeling more like home as each day goes by. It’ll be a work in progress I imagine and I’m ready to embrace this awesome change in my life. And I still feel so incredibly lucky to wake up next to T each day. That in itself is a dream come true.  

1 comment:

  1. We have been in our house almost a year and it has only been in the last few months that it started to feel like home and that it started to feel real. When we first moved in it just felt weird it felt like we still hadn't achieved it yet so I would say all totally normal :)

    ReplyDelete